Thursday, June 10, 2010

Somerset, here we come!

Robert and I have made a little investment, ok a BIG investment. We bought 35 acres down in Somerset, TX back in April 2009. Since then, we've done things here and there to it. Well, when I say "we" I mean Robert!! He attempted to plant some maize out in the back field, hunt dove, dig up endless cactus, built a feeder for some mysterious hogs and 1 or 2 deer, set up a little shooting range, shredded and cleared A LOT! and put down the outlaying of a future tank. So mostly, just played around with it here and there.



Our lease on our rental house was beginning to get closer and closer and we needed to make a decision on what we were going to do. Should we sign one more year, look for another (cheaper and smaller) place, or move out to Somerset?

Well...here's your answer!

We broke ground around February and have been on a steady pace ever since.

First step was to decide where to put it and to clear, but I was dumb and didn't take pics of that...then the slab!


Oh! I forgot to say that we aren't building a house, oh no, we are building a metal BARN! Yup, that's right...we will be living in what I like to call an "Abarnment" it's a combo of a Barn and Apartment. It will be totally livable, so no worries.

Here they are putting up the metal beams that will hold it into place. It was really neat to watch the barn look big, small, then big again.


There was some debate over what the color the exterior and trim should be. I don't even remember what Robert wanted but it doesn't really matter because he got out voted. I think my choice looks pretty good!




Ahhh, finally to the inside! This seemed like it took forever for them to get it all done. With weather conditions and set backs with wrong parts, it finally has come together!! Yay!


Who needs fancy schmancy contractors? Psh! Not us! No worries, Robert's dad has been doing this and we got some extra tips from Kevin too! So the building of the Abarnment begins. Robert and his dad are doing all of the building (with help from their fabulous wives!) and most of the electrical (we get help from an ex-player of Gregg's who used to be an electrician) so let's pray the Elmer's glue hold everything together!
These guys are good! Robert has only shot himself with the nail gun once (just a minor flesh wound) almost twice, and pinched himself while hammering. This is pretty good for him...so far!
What you are seeing (above) is the entire Abarnment. It includes...Kamryn's room, our room, closet, bathroom, kitchen/living area. About a total of 950 sq feet.
Here we are in the kitchen looking through the bathroom into our room.
The whole place is really coming along nicely! I will be adding more pics as we go so be sure to check every now and then to see the progress! Lets just hope that we can get it all done so that we can start moving in because we have to be out of our house right now at the end of June! I smell time crunch!!
When all said and done, our Abarnment will be a cozy little place. It will have to be because we will be living there for a good 6-7 years! We need time to pay off the land to start the process all over again...this time, with a HOUSE!!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! And, when you do build your house the abarnment is a great place for guests, like myself, to come stay! :)

    So, when is the house warming?

    ReplyDelete