Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Food Revolution

As of January I have made the commitment to eating healthier and adding Juice Plus+ to my life. With taking Juice Plus+ I have become more aware of what I eat and what I feed my family. Of course, I steer off the path every now and then, but I have totally seen a change in how I choose to eat!
We all know that America is being drowned with fast food, processed food, dyes, hormones, pesticides, and whatever you want to add to the list. I learned my lesson with Super Size Me
and the "I want to barf every time I think of it" McDonald's. Did you know that if you buy a kids meal hamburger w/fries, let it sit out for a month, or two, or three, that it will NEVER mold....hmmm, and you feed this to your child?!! It now seriously disturbs me what parents give to children.
Small, very small steps are being made to make our now obese elementary school children from making the change.
I had the pleasure of watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution tonight. I actually started to cry.
As an educator in the schools I had NO IDEA that this was happening right under my nose. I learned from watching the show that some are upset that they want to take flavored milk like strawberry and chocolate out of the schools and only have low fat milk. UPSET!!! So upset that they had companies come in and speak on the "benefits" of flavored milk.
This to me does NOT sound like "benefits". Did you know that in one 8 oz flavored milk has 28 grams of sugar!!! That is just as much a soda!! A bus full of children (about 30) will eat 57 TONS of sugar in one week if they drank a flavored milk!!! This is just crazy, that is just from the milk. That's not including the soda, candy, snacks, and other food they get at home!
It just breaks my heart on how our government says that there is a obesity problem in our schools and youth, yet they are allowing crappy food being served to them at school. It doesn't make sense to me.

Stepping off my soap box for now...

1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with this show!!! I watched it last year and never would have thought our schools allow so much junk. It's also sad to see how our kids are being corrupted.

    ReplyDelete